Friday, November 25, 2005

 

George Best Dies – 25 November 2005


A sad day for all football fans As George Best passed away today.

Best was discovered when he was 15 by a scout who telephoned Manchester United manager Sir Matt Busby with the message - "I think I've found a genius".

He was 17 when he made his First Division debut for United against West Bromwich Albion in September 1963.

Two years later, he helped United win their first championship for eight years - and it was followed by another in 1967.

A year later, Best helped United become the first English team to win the European Cup.
He walked out of top class football in 1972 aged just 26.

Here are some great George best quotes :

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered"

"I used to go missing a lot...Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World."

But maybe we should all just remember what Pele said in 1982 when asked who was the greatest:

"George Best was the greatest player in the world"

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Please Click If You Like ThisEmail Me!Link To UsBlogroll Me!

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." - Bill Shankly

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?